Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sam and Edna Perrins My Grandparents

Sam Perrins and Edna Clair Phippen
18 July 1900 Albion, Cassia, Idaho 

     This beautiful wedding picture of two beautiful people are my grandparents; parents of my Mother.  Samuel Perrins b 27 Feb 1876 in Plain, Luzern, Pennsylvania.  He lived to be eighty nine years old when he died at my family’s home in Pocatello, Idaho on 7 Jan 1966.  I had been married four years and Grandfather was a big part of my life. 
     Sam married Grandmother on 18 July 1900 in Albion, Idaho.  Edna Clair Pippen was born in Cedar Fort, Utah on 23 May 1878.  She moved with her family to Albion, Idaho in 1880 when she was two years old. Grandfather moved with his family to Albion in 1881; he was six.
       Sadly, I didn’t know Grandmother Perrins as well as Grandfather.  She died at age seventy on 18 February 1949; I was six my brother Gary was thirteen.    There is a story to be told about the circumstances surrounding her impending death and the people in the town of Albion which I will blog about at a later date.   
     Today I feel the nudge to blog about a couple of the many memories of my older brother Gary and a cousin Kent.   Gary and Kent were born in the same year; 1936 and had similar recollections that were written down and sent to me several years ago. 

Grandma Perrins and Grandpa
abt. 1947
     I would guess this picture was taken about 1947; a familiar picture to all of the grandchildren.  Cousin Kent says this for all of us.  "People, who do not have Grandparents in their life, miss a very essential part of family nurturing.  What you miss from your parents, you get paid double from your grandparents.  Nothing seem more comforting than a hug and a kiss on the cheek or forehead from Grandma, or the tolerance and encouragement one gets from a Granddad."

     Both Gary and Kent thought of Grandpa and Grandma as "people you did not want to mess with.  I [Kent] recalls Grandpa Perrins as a broad shouldered very muscular person with big heave forearms.  Even when he was in his seventies I [Kent] could not beat him arm wrestling.  Grandma Perrins was tall with a no nonsense stern look, that could put you in your place with just a wag of the finger.  I guess you had to learn that trait raising eight children and having lots of grandchildren."
Yet, their compassion, understanding and loving care was always there.  I think that depth of love has been passed onto other generations.  We have all been blessed with their presence in our lives. 
Grandma Perrins and the Roller Derby
"Their was the time a bunch of us kids were roller skating down the sidewalk 'hill' by the south gate to the Normal. [Albion State Normal School]  It had a curve at the bottom of the hill, which was near the opposite of the house.  Remembering those old skates that latched to your shoes seems so archaic when compared to the roller blades to today.  Still, I bet we had just as much fun. 
      One could pick up a lot of speed on that hill and the big challenge was to see how fast you could go and still make the turn at the bottom of the hill and stay on the sidewalk.  If you didn't it meant some bruised knees and maybe some tears.   But, no matter how many times we failed, we would struggle back up the hill with our skates still on; if they did not come off.  I [Kent] think Grandma Perrins, made herself the self appointed guardian of the turn.  Her job was to help us around the curve or to be there to catch us before we fell.  I can still see her running around the turn as we approached it and guiding us around with arms held out, making sure she would catch us if we fell.  I think she prevented a lot of bruised knees and tears that go with it that day." 
"She was a very gallant lady and I think she was having as much fun as us kids." 

2 comments:

Nancy said...

What sweet memories from your brother and cousin.

The photograph is beautiful. Dated photographs like this one are so helpful in determining dates for undated photographs. Her dress is beautiful.

Alice Byrne said...

I admire your goal of informing younger generations of your family about your ancestors. The photos you have here are so beautiful, and I'm so amazed that you have kept them all these years. Your grandparents are a lovely couple.